advair prescription purchase diskus 250mcg how no to to how no 4mg cheapest detrol prescription buy i online counter get 10mg aricept the can over cheapest i 10mg plendil purchase prescription no can buy non how to online cipro 750mg prescription rizact get 5mg cheap can over cheap get 250mg the antabuse counter i over order anafranil i 10mg online the can counter cheapest can i non 960mg bactrim order prescription how online actos online 45mg get albendazole to 400mg how cheapest over counter the purchase diabecon can i get how online 60caps duetact online 17mg i no can get prescription prescription can online triamterene without i 75mg buy cream how online 10gr to buy cheap acivir Re:Halloween debate-Trick or Treat - Oct 30th or 31st - The Daybreak Daily
Home Forums

Main Menu

Login Form

Who's Online

We have 402 guests online

Statistics

Content View Hits : 2515603
The Daybreak Daily
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Halloween debate-Trick or Treat - Oct 30th or 31st (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Halloween debate-Trick or Treat - Oct 30th or 31st
littleash (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Halloween debate-Trick or Treat - Oct 30th or 31st 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 2  
I will have candy ready for both days as well, just in case.

I agree, this isn't a Utah or LDS thing. I have lived in other areas where the date has been changed for a variety of reasons. It just depends on where you live.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
GirlInterrupted (User)
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Halloween debate-Trick or Treat - Oct 30th or 31st 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 12  
I love halloween and seeing all the kids dressed up. However, I don't have time to dedicate 2 evenings to that pursuit. I will stick with the date of the holiday and hope I don't miss enjoying too many wonderful costumes.

lemonjenny (User)
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Halloween debate-Trick or Treat - Oct 30th or 31st 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0  
I completely agree with Girl on this one. I'm not dedicating TWO nights of my weekend, just because some people choose to celebrate on the wrong day.

I'll be ready on Sunday, the 31st, with Candy. I think it's wrong to change the day we celebrate because of one religions beliefs. (And don't even bother trying to convince me that this isn't an LDS thing!) Other religions hold Saturday to be sabbath... but we don't change it for them! We should celebrate on the day the holiday IS.

As for the trunk or treat commenting... I am so with you on this one! I was dismayed when "trunk or treating" came into fashion. For me, that just ruins the holiday! What makes Halloween fun is going door to door... not just wandering around some parking lot. I'm so glad Daybreak does the door to door thing, and hope it never changes!

hapafour (User)
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Halloween debate-Trick or Treat - Oct 30th or 31st 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0  
Regardless of the night you choose to hand out candy, just know the bulk of the trick-or-treaters will be coming to your door the evening of the 30th. You may want to turn out your porch light or be prepared to turn away dozens of kids that evening (unless the weather is ugly). Maybe you could place a sign on your door stating "I celebrate on the 31st". Parents will get the message. Not so sure the kids will. Although I know my candy bucket will be emptied on Saturday evening, I'll make sure I have candy for those kids who choose to trick-or-treat on Sunday. As far as the "LDS thing" goes, believe it or not, there are other religious communities outside of Utah that will be celebrating Halloween on the 30th. The 4th fell on a Sunday this year, it wasn't that big of a deal. The weekend actually felt longer.

littleash (User)
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Halloween debate-Trick or Treat - Oct 30th or 31st 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 2  
No one is saying everyone has to hand out candy both nights, although I think having this confusion will disappoint many kids on both nights- not as many houses to go to for either night. I will plan on buying the regular amount of candy and splitting it between both nights. If I run out, I will just turn off my porch lights. I didn't have plans to be gone either night anyway.

lemonjenny, why is it so hard to believe that this isn't just an LDS issue? I have lived in the south and in small college towns in the midwest that switched the night for both religious ( baptist, lutheran) and non religious reasons. The difference was that it was made clear when it would be instead, unlike the confusion I am hearing in our area. I think not having a clear cut city-wide decision is devisive (sp?) and silly.

lemonjenny (User)
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
littleash wrote:
QUOTE:
lemonjenny, why is it so hard to believe that this isn't just an LDS issue? I have lived in the south and in small college towns in the midwest that switched the night for both religious ( baptist, lutheran) and non religious reasons. .

Sorry littleash, I'm simply not convinced. It is because of the LDS around here. I guess I could revise my statement and say that it's because of the "predominant religion" (which would include different religions in different states), but that doesn't change it. It's definitely an LDS thing. And I don't buy that it could also be changed because of the next day being a school day... because we don't change trick-or-treating when Halloween falls on Monday-Thursday! It IS a religion thing, and in my opinion, it's wrong to change it. It's the LDS folks who want everyone else to change the holiday for them that is divisive, and causing all the confusion. And ultimately, it's going to make trick-or-treating kinda crappy for the kids this year. Bummer! The fact that the city hasn't said anything speaks volumes. It means Halloween is, well, on Halloween, in my opinion.

No offense intended... but that's still my opinion on the matter. I'll celebrate Halloween... on Halloween.

Last Edit: 2010/10/22 20:49 By lemonjenny. Reason: gah! typos. :)
Go to top Post Reply